District Lot 452, Cassiar Land District 6, except Block A.
A seasonal creek cuts through the southwest corner of the property and touches again on the southeast corner. There is also a small spring near the center, which could be seasonal. The entire property slopes in benches gently to the east, becoming a little steeper near the east boundary. The center and west part is like a plateau and because of these benches, an incredible view of the valley and distant snow capped mountains can be seen from just about anywhere. A building site just off the main road would be an ideal place for a home, offering a great view of the Skeena River valley and mountains. While there was a road through the centre of the property a number of years ago, it has not been maintained.
The property is located directly across the Skeena River from Old Hazelton which is 42 miles (67.5 kilometres) northwest of Smithers. Smithers is located in west central British Columbia, known as the Bulkley Valley. Smithers is considered by many to be one of the most beautiful towns in British Columbia.
The property is accessed by going north 3.7 miles (6 km) on the Kispiox road from Old Hazelton then turn left, or west on the Kitwanga Forest Service Road for 3.4 miles (5.5 km) just past the Hazelton Creek bridge and turn right into a farmer’s driveway.
NIHO has a registered easement, from the neighbour, allowing access to this property along the north boundary of Block A 147 and Block A 452. This easement, at present, has not been cleared, and a road has not been constructed. Please review the Easement Plan found on the Maps tab or contact the office for further details.
Ross Lake Provincial Park offers canoeing, swimming, fishing and hiking, and Seely Lake Provincial Park just west of New Hazelton activities including, camping, and cutthroat and rainbow trout fishing.
The Kispiox River is well known for its salmon fishing, especially the steelhead which is fished by fishermen from all over the world. There are several fishing resorts along the Kispiox River. The Skeena, River, one mile east of the property, is very well known for its spring or chinook salmon fishing, and spring up to 80 lbs. have been landed.
Ski Smithers’ ski slopes are located approx. 40 miles (64 km) south of Hazelton. This mountain is considered one of the best for powder skiing in northern British Columbia.
Power and phone are located on the main road and to the two houses below the property.
There are three Hazeltons in the area, Hazelton (known as Oldtown), South Hazelton and New Hazelton. Hazelton is the smallest incorporated village in the province. This valley, surrounded by rugged, snow-capped mountains with many glaciers, is truly one of the most picturesque in all of B.C. It is very fertile where farm produce grow beyond all normal expectations. Numerous clear creeks flow into the main river system, the Bulkley, which flows into the Skeena River. This entire area consists of small cow/calf ranches and some farms.
Smithers, approx. 65-km. southeast of Hazelton, is one of the most beautiful towns in British Columbia. The town currently enjoys a strong economy based on logging, milling, mining, agriculture and tourism. Smithers calls itself “Northern B.C.’s Recreation Centre”, but still salutes its historic past each August during the 12 day long Bulkley Valley Days celebration. Visitors to the town enjoy shopping the main street, which has a backdrop of magnificent, towering mountains and is complete with a Bavarian theme, including red brick sidewalks and a statue of men playing an alpenhorn.
Hazelton was called “Gitanmaks” and was a native trading centre long before the first white traders settled there in 1868. Hazelton had many “firsts” in Skeena River history – first church, first government office, first Hudson’s Bay post. Hazelton was the head of navigation during the riverboat days. When the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway was built in 1912, Hazelton was the only populated centre in the area, but it was located on the other side of the river from the railroad tracks. A businessman bought a parcel of flat land on the other side of the river and promoted it as a railroad town, calling it New Hazelton. The Grand Trunk Pacific Railway put a station directly across the river from Hazelton and called it South Hazelton. New Hazelton was active during railroad construction days and was the centre of mining speculation, but never attained the activity that Hazelton created. The ‘Ksan Indian Village and Museum was built in 1970 and stands in Hazelton where villages stood for 7,000 years.
The property was logged 30 years ago, and the are scattered patches of merchantable timber throughout. The rest of the foliage is cottonwood and heavy young regenerating poplar.
Noel Humphrys, British Columbia Land Surveyor surveyed the boundaries, July 1907.
Rural 1 (Skeena Valley Zoning Bylaw 73)