NW1 – 132.00 acres
$7,700,000 – Priced at 2018 appraised value
NW 1 – District Lot 1723, New West Group 1, except Parcel A,B,C,D, (Reference Plan 3791) & part shown on Plan 3625, Land District 37
Copies of 2018 appraisal available to qualified buyers who sign Non-Disclosure Agreement.
These properties are one of the largest assembled parcels of private recreational land within such close proximity to the Lower Mainland. The views are breathtaking, fronting two mountain rivers, with snowcapped mountains in most directions. These properties sit in a fairly wide and long valley offering some of the most picturesque scenery in the Lower Mainland. Most of the main properties are very flat and level except near the north end where the property climbs to a small hill. There are a number of small mountain creeks on the properties that run into Pitt River. Some of the shoreline along the river is truly beautiful especially after spring run off where areas along the river have formed white sandy beaches. Throughout these sandy beaches are small stands of aspen as shown in the photos. The mountain river on the east side of the properties has a bend in it just a short distance from the mouth of the river where there is a wide quiet area that is an ideal spot for fly fishing as shown in the photos. There are numerous game trails that lead from the valley floor to the high mountains and in the late spring and fall a large number of deer calls this unique property home. Elk are thriving in Upper Pitt Lake, a herd of 23 were relocated in January 2005.
District Lot 1723—132 Acres
This lot fronts on the Pitt River on the west and has an alternate Pitt River arm on the east boundary. This lot has approximately 2,600 feet of river frontage. The property is traversed north to south by an existing gravel road with 3,300 feet of road frontage. The property is well treed with alder, cottonwood and some spruce.
District Lot 2043—157 Acres
This property is bounded on the east by District Lot 3173 and on the west by District Lot 3162. The alternate Pitt River water channel runs through the northern boundary of this lot and could provide small boat access. The westernmost boundary is only 250 feet from the existing gravel road. The road distance from this property to the loading dock at the north end of Pitt Lake is .75 miles. The northeast portion of the property is marshy. The southeast and western portion contains some timber.
District Lot 3162—126.34 Acres
This lot fronts the Pitt River on its west boundary, it is bounded by District Lot 2043 on the east and District Lot 1723 on the north. There is approximately 3200 feet of river frontage. The subject property is well treed with predominately alder. The existing road traverses this property north to south with approximately 2300 feet of road frontage. The road distance to the loading dock at the north end of Pitt Lake is .75 miles.
District Lot 3173—97.30 Acres
This property is the most easterly property and irregular in shape. It is bounded on the west by District Lot 2043 and on the east by the alternate course of Pitt River. This property has a good length of water frontage and could provide direct water access with potential boating facilities to District Lot 2043 and 3162.
District Lot 4920—52.50 Acres
This lot is bounded on the north by District Lot 4922 and on the west southwest by the alternate course of the Pitt River. This property has no direct road access, however it is within 400 feet of the existing road through District Lot 1723.
District Lot 4922—95.50 Acres
This lot is bound by District Lot 4920 on its south boundary. Road access could be gained in conjunction with District Lot 4920.
District Lot 3168—72.70 Acres
This property is not adjacent with the other six properties and is slightly over 5 miles to the north by dirt road. Access is provided by dirt roads connecting to the area’s existing main gravel road. This property has approximately 1300 feet of water frontage on the back channel of the Pitt River. There is approximately 68 acres of this lot, which is level with two creeks running north to south, of which approximately 15 acres was once cleared. The remaining 10 acres along the west boundary rises from a creek to approximately 700 feet at the west boundary.
These prime recreational development properties are located at the north end of Pitt Lake bordered by two rivers, Pitt River on the west side and a smaller mountain river, the Red Slough, on the east side. This area is known as the Pitt River Valley. Pitt Lake is located in the district of Pitt Meadows and is only 25.5 km (15.8 miles) east of downtown Vancouver. The Pitt River bridge located on Highway 7 joins Port Coquitlam and Maple Ridge and crosses the Pitt River approximately 4.8 km. (3 miles) south of the south end of Pitt Lake.
Conveniently located just 16 miles from Downtown Vancouver.
Access to the properties is by air or by launching a boat from the south end of Pitt Lake:
Air – Helicopter or floatplane access is available from the Pitt Meadows Airport located on Harris Road 3 km (1.9 miles) south from downtown Pitt Meadows. Facilities include three paved runways, floatplane dock on north side of the Fraser River, and control tower.
Boat -There are boat launching and dock facilities at the Grant Narrows Regional Park at the southern end of Pitt Lake.
Directions to Grant Narrows Regional Park:
From Vancouver (West): turn left off Lougheed Hwy onto Harris Rd (Pitt Meadows) to McNeil (almost end of Harris Rd). Follow McNeil to Rannie/Neaves Rd, turn left and follow to end.
From Mission (East): turn right off Lougheed Hwy onto Harris Rd (Pitt Meadows) to McNeil (almost end of Harris Rd). Follow McNeil to Rannie/Neaves Rd, turn left and follow to end.
There is also a barge that runs from the south end to the north end of Pitt Lake that will take equipment including cars and trucks from one end to the other. At the north end of the lake there is a large wharf and loading facilities for cars or trucks. From this loading facility there is a very wide good all year gravel road running straight north up the Pitt River Valley. This road runs through the properties from south to north giving access to all properties. There is a logging road that runs from Squamish east to the adjacent valley of the Pitt River Valley. These roads could one day interconnect. At one time there was a rumor that a highway would be built along side Pitt Lake up through the Pitt River Valley joining Vancouver to Whistler giving people an alternate and faster route to Whistler.
This unspoiled area offers unlimited recreational activities such as fishing for steelhead trout and pink, coho, spring and sockeye salmon in Pitt Lake. The Upper Pitt River is known as one of the top fishing rivers in Canada for coho, sockeye, pink, chum, steelhead, bull trout & rainbow trout. Deer and Elk can be found in the area. Within such close proximity to the Lower Mainland, this area offers numerous trails for hiking, mountain biking and great spots for camping. Pitt Lake, the largest fresh water tidal lake in the world, offers canoeing, kayaking, sailing and boating. A feature of the area is a hotspring at the edge of the Pitt River, which is easily accessible by a logging road.
Pinecone Burke Provincial Park, 38,000 ha., begins in the north with Pinecone Lake and dozens more alpine lakes feeding into the Pitt River and Pitt Lake, which is the largest freshwater tidal lake in North America.
Grant Narrows Regional Park is located on the south end of Pitt Lake where it narrows to become Pitt River. The marsh is excellent here for birdwatching. Trails, birdwatching towers, floating dock and canoeing are available here.
Golden Ears Provincial Park is one of the largest parks in the province at 62,540 ha. Prized for its recreational opportunities, this park is known for its camping, boating, watersports, and fishing. The extensive system of trails within the park provides an excellent opportunity for backcountry hiking and horseback riding. Beaver, deer, black bear, and mountain goat make their home here.
At the south end of Pitt Lake there is a 36-hole championship golf course, Swan-e-set Bay Resort & Country Club, designed by legendary Lee Trevino. It includes a 65,000 square foot chateau-style clubhouse. Panoramic views and elegant surroundings make this clubhouse perhaps the finest in Western Canada.
Pitt Meadows (Pop. 19,580) with its naturally beautiful setting, is located on the north side of the Fraser River between Port Coquitlam and Maple Ridge, just an hour from downtown Vancouver. Surrounded by three rivers – the Pitt River, the Fraser River, and the Alouette River – residents enjoy boating, canoeing, water-skiing, fishing, swimming, bird watching, cycling, walking and horseback riding. With its four world-class golf courses, an expanding airport, and increased connectivity with Vancouver through the Golden Ears Bridge and a commuter rail link with Vancouver, Pitt Meadows is a community poised for growth. Dairy farms, Christmas tree farms, greenhouses, raspberries, strawberries, cranberries and blueberries all contribute to a thriving agricultural community, with 86% of the Pitt Meadows landmass included in the Agricultural Land Reserve.
Maple Ridge (Pop. 82,256) situated on the north shore of the Fraser River, is one of British Columbia’s major commercial centres. Maple Ridge has seen rapid growth in recent years and is a wonderful place to enjoy nature. There are many parks and trails that offer an unrivaled opportunity to enjoy the peaceful beauty of mountains, rivers and marshes.
Coquitlam (Pop. 142,258) stretches north from industrial lands on the banks of the Fraser River, to the mountain wilderness of Pinecone Burke Provincial Park. One of the fastest growing communities in the Lower Mainland, with population that has grown fivefold in the last four decades, the services have expanded similarly. These include the Evergreen Line SkyTrain extension and updates to the Port Mann Bridge, the award-winning $50-milion Poirier Sports and Leisure Complex upgrade, the David Lam Douglas College campus, and City Centre public library. In 2009, Coquitlam was designated a Cultural Capital of Canada in recognition of the contribution of culture to the community’s identity, quality of life and economic development.
Pitt Lake is 24 km (14.8 mi.) long lake and is surrounded by beautiful valleys, mountains, old growth forests and is only accessible by road at the south end. Pitt Lake is the largest freshwater tidal lake in North America and is fed by mountain creeks and rivers with numerous waterfalls. Small sandy beaches have been created where many of these creeks enter the lake and offer great spots for boaters to stop and picnic during the summer months. The lake is 16 km (9.9 mi.) north of Haney Town Centre in Maple Ridge. The area along the shores of Pitt Lake has little development and is very private and pristine. There are scattered pockets of properties along the shores of Pitt Lake, the majority being Seasonal Dwellings, followed by vacant land parcels and then Single Family Dwellings/Mobile Homes/Outbuildings. In the summer, Pitt Lake is very popular and boaters with canoes, kayaks to large pleasure boats can be seen around the lake.
The area surrounding the properties offers a unique combination of natural scenic beauty, clear unpolluted lakes and streams with an abundance of game and fish. Camping, boating, fishing, water sports and hiking are just a few of the activities that can be enjoyed in the area.
Pitt River Lodge Fishing Resort, Alvin BC – The Pitt River Lodge Fishing Resort., located approximately 4 miles (5 1/2 km) from the property. The resort includes a guest lodge and cabins offering guests the use of canoes, mountain bikes, access to the hotsprings and fisherman the ultimate fly-fishing experiences. The location was formerly the historic town of Alvin named after Alvin Thomas Patterson (1865–1942), a logging contractor and farmer who settled there about 1901, originally from Parrsboro, Nova Scotia. Alvin had an operating post office from October 1915 -1955.
Here you can take your pick on your favorite outdoor activities—fishing, boating, hiking. World class fishing — steelhead, bull trout, rainbow trout, cutthroat, coho and the largest sockeye salmon in the world.
The Hotsprings are located in a beautiful canyon a few feet from the river and just a few miles north of the properties. You can reach the hotsprings by either boat or vehicle. The hotsprings are very unique and formed from hot water flowing out of several cracks in the rocks forming a large pool which overflows over into the river. The Pitt River flows from the glaciers above and the water is crystal clear and turquoise in color.
In Spring 2012, in partnership with Pacific Salmon Foundation’s Partnered Initiatives and Department of Fisheries and Oceans, the Fraser Valley Watersheds Coalition was able to replace a failing water intake system from Corbold Creek, Fish Hatchery creek and Alvin Spawning channels in the Upper Pitt River system. The habitat was enhanced, complexed and protected from erosive force of water.
It was in 1860 that Captain George Henry Richards, aboard the Plumper, made a reconnaissance voyage up a river to a lake north of Douglas Island. He named the river and lake Pitt, in honor of William Pitt, England’s ninth Prime Minister.
During the Fraser Canyon Gold Rush in the 1850’s, maps of gold fields were published in California, with two showing prospective deposits north of Pitt Lake. Multiple rumors followed over the next 5 years, with several people claiming to have found placier deposits at Pitt Lake. Subsequent expeditions found nothing. Today, over one hundred years the lost gold mine legend is still very much alive.
British Columbia’s miniature version of Alcatraz was established on tiny Goose Island on Pitt Lake. In 1906, the island was deeded to the British Columbia Penitentiary for use as a prison camp. Convicts erected a forty-foot cellblock that year and were put to work cutting cords of firewood. In May of 1908 a riot erupted and quickly quelled without loss of life but several men escaped by means of makeshift rafts. As for Goose Island, the camp was abandoned to fishermen and hunters who continued using the blockhouse as a shelter for hall a century. The camp was later abandoned.
The majority of the properties are level and well treed in mature alder with some areas of cottonwood and patches of very large old growth spruce. The underbrush along the river and north end is fairly light but near the east end it gets quite dense. There are some open grassy areas mostly along the eastside.
The soil is river silt and heavy loam except for some large areas along the river where there are large deposits of gravel.
These properties are very unique because of their size, beautiful scenery and close proximity to the Lower Mainland. There are numerous potential investment options. The highest and best use for the properties would be as a holding property with future potential when development is feasible and economically viable.
Another option is a Tree Farm. The owner has also been approached by a large hardwood paper company to lease the property for the growing of cottonwood.
A study was completed on building a ski hill in this valley. The initial reports on the snow conditions were extremely favorable. The owner of this property was approached in selling one parcel to this group to be used for building a ski lodge.
These properties were surveyed between 1910 and 1919.
NW 1 – $1018.62
R 3 (Rural) Zoning— Subdivision is possible for lots with a minimum size of 20 acres. (Contact NIHO for details)
These properties are not in the Agricultural Land Reserve.