100.4 acres (40.63 hectares)
Fractional Northeast 1/4, District Lot 387, Queen Charlotte Land District 46.
The property is one of two private properties situated on Mayer Lake, within the boundaries of Naikoon Provincial Park. Private and serene, the property is nestled among old growth timber that has not been touched for hundreds of years. Spruce stands soar 180 feet above your head, and every step you take in the awesome forest sinks you deeper and deeper into a bed of dark green moss. This property also features 1/2 mile of lakefront on Mayer Lake, noted for its excellent freshwater fishing. This lake is the largest lake on northeastern Graham Island, and, due to its boat launch and wilderness camping sites on the south end of the lake, is very popular with residents and tourists alike.
This vacant acreage waterfront property is located on Mayer Lake within the boundaries of Naikoon Provincial Park approximately 6 miles east of Port Clements.
Haida Gwaii is accessible by plane or ferry with daily flights on Air Canada to Sandspit (on Moresby Island) from Vancouver. There is also air service from Vancouver to Masset with Pacific Coastal Airlines. Masset airport also accommodates private jets and helicopters. For those coming from Northern BC, North Pacific Seaplanes offers air service from Prince Rupert to Masset.
BC Ferries offers service from Prince Rupert with 4 sailings a week in summer and 3 in winter from Prince Rupert to Skidegate on Graham Island on Haida Gwaii. Sailing time is approximately 6 hours.
Rental cars are available in Sandspit, Masset and Queen Charlotte City.
From Sandspit drive 6 miles (10 km) to the Kwuna ferry to Skidegate. From Skidegate travel north to Port Clemens on Highway 16 (an extension of the Yellowhead Hwy). An overgrown corduroy road runs west from Mayer Lake to Kumdis Bay and can be seen on the air photo of the property. In addition, the southern dip of Mayer Lake is within 1/2 mile of the Port Clements Highway.
Haida Gwaii is world-renowned for their fishing, both fresh and saltwater. There are freshwater streams to tempt the avid fly-fisher as well as the majestic Pacific Ocean to lure adventurous fishermen to this unique region. This area is a legend among sports fishermen worldwide with numerous first class fishing lodges attracting hundreds of visitors every year.
The avid fishing enthusiast can play in this coastal playground all year round, attracting all five species of Salmon, plus Steelhead, Trout and Halibut. One can anticipate catching spring salmon upwards to 60 lbs while Halibut on the Island have topped 40 lbs.
Starting in mid-May, the fish appear on the northern Graham Island coast and follow the herring and needlefish down the coastline. Coho show up in early July, and can be found in abundance by late August. Steelhead are the winter catch on the islands, with the first run showing up in October, and running through to March with the peak months being December and January.
Fishermen come from all parts of the world to the Tlell and Yakoun Rivers for the Steelhead run. Crabbing and clam digging along North Beach is a popular past time year round on Graham Island. Razor clams and dungeness crabs are abundant, and can be collected to create world class dinners.
Hiking, biking and walking on the beaches, trails, or in your own backyard provides enjoyment as well as relaxation for outdoor enthusiasts. Exploring the wonders of the rainforest is something the whole family can enjoy year round in this coastal paradise. Haida Gwaii Tourism’s Guide to Recreation and Hiking Trails can be found here
Naikoon Provincial Park, one of two provincial parks on Graham Isalnd, consists of 72,660 ha (179,493 acres) of low wetlands and superb sand dunes, with forests thriving only along river valleys and hills. Naikoon reaches out into Hecate Strait and culminates in Rose Spit, an ecological reserve and excellent spot for watching birds migrating south. Naikoon Park is known for its beautiful scenery, excellent hiking trails and wilderness campsites.
Find a great recreational map of the surrounding Tow Hill community here showing hiking trails in the immediate area.
Haida Gwaii is well known for its abundant wildlife, especially hundreds of small deer. Seeing fifty to sixty in a day is not uncommon while spotting a herd of elk in remote areas is customary on these islands.
Haida Gwaii (Queen Charlotte Islands) are a triangular archipelago of some 200 islands, most of them small and uninhabited, covering an area of 9,596 sq. km, running (251 km) 156 miles from south to north, and (84 km) 52 miles west to east. They are separated from the mainland by Hecate Strait, to the north, ranging in width from (50km) 31 feet to (130km) 81 miles. The largest islands are Graham to the north, and Moresby to the south.
Graham Island is the largest, most accessible, and most populated of Haida Gwaii. The average actual rainfall is higher than the average actual rainfall at Vancouver International Airport, but less than that of North Vancouver. The isolation and climate make the islands distinctly different from the mainland and permit unique subspecies to thrive here. Luxurious rain forests, shell scattered shorelines and sandy beaches provide superlative wilderness adventures.
Port Clements – (Pop. 378) 21 km northwest of Tlell on Masset Inlet, between the Kumdis and Yakoun rivers. Giant spruce trees made this an airplane building centre in the First World War. Logging is still the main industry.
The Haida First Nation people have lived on Haida Gwaii for thousands of years. They have been referred to as the Vikings of the Northwest Pacific for their seafaring prowess. They are also well known as skilled artists, importing raw materials from the mainland and transforming them into amazing works that could still be functional. Today there are two major Haida communities left on Haida Gwaii, Old Masset and Skidegate. Both communities are vital to the island’s major industries, while preserving their cultural heritage.
Haida Gwaii was the first place in British Columbia discovered and recorded by a European, Juan Perez, in July 1774. In 1787, British explorer Captain George Dixon named the islands Queen Charlotte after his ship and his Queen.
Port Clements was founded by Eli Tingley in 1907, but started off life known as Queenstown. Re-named for the local Member of Parliament, Herb Clements, in 1914, the town also received a new government wharf, assisting this new community by attracting more visitors and commerce. A natural centre for the logging camps in the area, the town’s fortunes rose and fell with the demand for the spruce lumber in the area. The Village was incorporated in December 1975.
In 2009, the Queen Charlotte Islands were offically renamed Haida Gwaii.
It is reported that the subject property contains 85 acres of merchantable timber at an estimated volume of 3785 cunits (45 cunits per acre) of predominantly cedar, hemlock, spruce types.
Surveyed by F. D. Rice in July 1909
A-1 (Agriculture-Forestry District)