Lot: 5; Pl: 9825; DL: 3037; LD: Coast Range 5 (14); Range: 5
Located in the popular Paddlewheeler Estates subdivision, Lot 5 is a lovely 5 acre property only a short stroll to pristine Stuart Lake. The property is fairly level, and is covered in secondary growth trees and shrubs, with some interesting potential building sites throughout the property.
This property would be excellent for both seasonal and year-round living, as there is both power and telephone to the lot, and school bus service to Fort St. James.
The north eastern shore of Stuart Lake, approximately 24 miles to the north of Fort St. James.
The property is located on all weather gravel Hibiscus Road, off of paved Tachie Road, 24 miles from Fort St. James. Access is year round, as the Ministry of Transportation maintains both roads in this area.
Prince George Airport is the regional airport for Northern B.C., and is expected to play a key role in the economic development of the area. The airport has undergone a major expansion, renovating its runways and international cargo plane fuelling capacity.The airport accepts 747 airplane landings and includes an International Customs and Canada Border Service area. It currently accepts international charter flights.
Fort St James Perison Airport is operated by the District of Fort St James and offers a 4,000 foot paved runway. There are no landing fees for aircraft. Several operators fly small aircraft from the airport and floatplanes on the lake. There are two helicopter companies based out of Fort St James offering competitive rates and availability.
Welcome to BC’s Lake’s District, a fishing paradise! Stuart Lake, seventh largest in the province (more than 90 kilometers long and up to 13 kilometers wide) is accessible by almost any street in Fort St James. This is a favourite fishing lake, not only for the locals but for fisherman from all over British Columbia, Alberta and the United States who come to travel the Stuart/Trembleur/Takla Lake system. Cast your rod for Salmon, Rainbow & Lake Trout as well as Whitefish and Chub.
The Stuart/Trembleur/Takla Lake system is well known for its amazing canoeing and kayaking experiences. A person can travel from Stuart Lake up the Tachie to Trembleur Lake, up the Middle River to Takla Lake, to the Driftwood River, an unspoiled waterway of some 281 kilometers (175 miles).
Looking for a little more quiet? There are hundreds of lakes and kilometers of river systems within a short driving distance from the Paddlewheeler Estates. Fish for Trout and Whitefish in lakes like Camsell, Shass and McKnabb. You can fish in a different lake for as long as you stay.
There are two marinas in Fort St James- the Cottonwood Marina and the Pitka Bay Marina. Stuart River Campground, located close to NIHO’s Caledonia Estates, has a boat launch, as do several of the Forest Recreational Sites in the area.
The vast forestlands around Stuart lake offer infinite opportunities for wilderness camping, hunting and hiking. Two Provincial Parks are located a short drive from the property – Paarens Beach and Sowchea Bay – great spots to take advantage of the beaches and water sports during the summer.
In the winter, you won’t want to stay indoors – there are hundreds of opportunities for winter sports in (almost) your own backyard. The hiking trails turn into cross-country skiing and snowshoeing trails, and snowmobiling is very popular in this region. The nearby Murray Ridge Ski Area provides downhill skiers and snowboarders with a home base, with 30 trails totaling 22 kms and a vertical drop of 518 metres.
Historical buffs will want to visit Fort St. James National Historic Park, recreating the life of the region when some of BC’s first settlers made their homes here.
Power and phone to property line
Stuart Lake is the seventh largest in the province (more than 90km long and up to 13 km wide) and is a favourite fishing lake for locals as well as for fisherman from all over British Columbia, Alberta and the United States. The Stuart/Trembleur/Takla Lake system is renowned for it’s excellent fishing.
With a population of around 4500, the District of Fort St James is a stable community with strong links to the forestry, mining and tourism industries. The economy is expected to grow with positive economic announcements including:
The town has five motels, two “bed-and-breakfasts”, a small shopping mall, two grocery super-markets, a post office, a drug store, a hospital and a golf course. There is a volunteer fire department with two fire halls. The Stuart Lake Hospital offers medicine, surgery, obstetrics, pediatrics, laboratory, x-ray and dietary services, and there is a dental and medical clinic in town. There is a RCMP detachment, two elementary schools and a secondary school.
Fort St. James has the distinction of being the oldest continuously inhabited settlement in British Columbia. Founded by Simon Fraser in 1806, it was referred to as the Stuart Lake post until 1822 when it became Fort St. James. It was the chief fur-trading post and capital of the large and prosperous district of New Caledonia, the birthplace of British Columbia. In 1821 the fort became a Hudson’s Bay Company post. Today, five of the original buildings survive, including a storehouse and salmon cache.
The Indian name for the site, “Na-‘Kra’ztli” means “arrows floating by” and refers to a legendary battle with dwarfs, which left the Stuart River full of arrows where it leaves the lake. The grave site of one of the greatest chiefs known to Carrier First Nations is located near the Stuart River, as Chief Kwah requested when he died.